I guess there was a very large part of me that hoped Houston was just going to be a small chapter in our life, I rationalized not painting or altering the look of the inside of our home for fear that it would make our home hard to sell when that day came.
It looks like that day may never come and even if it does eventually, why on earth am I sitting around waiting for it to happen, paint can be painted over, curtains can be taken down, I can have a little fun along the way right?
I always had this idea in my head that I wanted to paint our front formal dining room (which I will never use as a dining room) a shade of green. I didn't want a forest green, or a mint green, or a blue green, I wanted a light gray green, one I could accent with yellows and creams and slap up some board and baton with.
Every time I found a paint chip sample I loved, I would run and buy a sample bottle of paint only to discover on my walls it came out either too green, too minty, or too blue!
After spending a small fortune on paint samples and having a front room with walls full of spots of different colored greens, I finally realized the green I was looking for was right in front of me.
Years back I painted a vinyl sign my sister bought for me in a shade of green and then I white washed it (sort of) and after connecting the dots I realized that was the color I was looking for all along. After attempting to have it paint matched (which didn't really work out because it is a white washed color) I found a sample paint chip that was very close to the color on my sign.
When I slapped that sample paint on the wall I knew I had found the one!
The color I went with is the second sample from the top. (Above)
In this picture it is the large swatch on the left that goes all the way to the bottom of the wall.
Here it is all by itself.
It brownish yellowish, it's green, it's gray. It seemed light and refreshing to me. It's called Cliveden Gray Morning.
I started to do research on matching color palettes, which lead me into a lot of ideas and theories about color. Talk about a joy killer!
My home is an open concept home, meaning all the rooms flow into each other, there are no doors separating our living areas, just rounded arch ways and well yeah a lot of openness. All my corners are rounded as well (which I do love the look of). It is painted in warm neutral colors. The main color of our home is beige and our two story living room is a chocolate brown. In all honestly I like it much better than white or cream walls, and until I wanted to paint a few of my one story rooms different colors I had absolutely no issue with the colors my house is.
Turns out though that every color I love or dream about painting my walls is a cool toned color. Which posed a major problem for me since I had no starting or stopping point to separate the two, and I cannot convince myself to attempt to repaint our two story monster rooms!
So after debating back and forth about whether or not I should use a cool color in a massively large open warm toned house, I threw all caution to the wind and decided to just paint the room in Cliveden Gray Morning. It's considered a neutral green. I was hoping since all the other paint colors in my home are neutral as well I could pull it off.
And as luck would have it Lowe's had a paint sale so I grabbed two gallons.
I think the trickiest part of painting was getting the tape up, those rounded corners and arch ways became a logistical nightmare of sorts. But I did my best and I painted and painted and painted and then a day later I painted and painted a second coat. And then with all the zeal a girl can muster up I removed the painters tape and stood back to take it all in.
I was in LOVE.
And then I hated it.
And then It was just okay.
And then I loved it again.
And then I liked the paint but I really hated the joining of the beige and the green that you can see on both of the rounded arch ways. The whole no starting or stopping point is really buggin me. And then last night the room took on a pea green feel, which was not what I wanted at all.
And now I'm wondering if I'm just fretting way to much about a silly painted room.
Do I hate it or do I love it?
Can I live with it?
Does it just take getting used to?
I guess time will answer all that for me.
Here's the before and afters.
BEFORE
Dining room in all it's Kilim Beige loveliness.
AFTER
Hello Cliveden Gray Morning
I've bounced between throwing up some simple board and baton or dressing up the room with white weathered looking shudders instead of curtains, I know it sounds backwards and maybe it is, but that's what I have envisioned. We have an armoire I'm think about painting white and distressing and placing in this room. Some day I hope to have a couch or two matching side chairs in here as well. For now It'll stay my emptish-hodge-podge-sometimes lovely sometimes ugly room!

3 comments:
Good Job! It always feels good to finish a project!
I love that you can see an idea in your head and create such beauty with your hands
I think it looks great! Paint is so hard. I just bought a gallon of green, painted a swatch on the wall and HATED it! It's still there and I'm scared to try and find another green :)
Post a Comment